|John B. Stewart, Attorney at Law|
As you explore this site, you will see I have been a civil trial attorney for more than 25 years in Springfield, Massachusetts. I represent individuals and corporations in cases in judicial and administrative courts throughout Massachusetts. I have worked in small law firms since 1985 as a law clerk, associate, partner and principal/of counsel, concentrating for the most part on insurance defense and other litigation matters. Although my office is in downtown Springfield, I have experience trying cases in Federal and State courts in Boston, Worcester, as well as Western Massachusetts (Berkshire, Hampshire, Hampden and Franklin counties). In 2009, I was board certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. I was also selected for Super Lawyers by Boston Magazine in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
My services are usually retained when a party has been served with suit papers and needs representation, or has a dispute that cannot be resolved without the filing of a lawsuit. I work with clients and their representatives to evaluate the legal rights of the parties, identify case objectives, and develop and execute on an action plan. The resolution of a claim without a trial and on terms acceptable to the client requires know-how, tenacity and skill. However, the ability to take a case to trial, and a track record of favorable trial results, means surrender is not the only option when a settlement cannot be achieved.
My practice areas include:
- Insurance defense - coverage, bad faith and tort litigation - representing insurers and insureds in claims concerning motor vehicle accident, general liability, products and professional liability insurance.
- Agents and brokers - representing agents, brokers and their insurers for errors and omissions claims and agency-company disputes.
- Business Litigation - representing corporations and executives in contract and other commercial disputes.
- Products Liability Claims - defense of consumer and industrial products including food processing machinery, presses, bicycles.
- Premises Liability - defense of landowners and lessees for damages claimed to be caused by defective and unsafe conditions.
- Wrongful Death and Personal Injury Claims - representing vehicle owners, property owners, construction companies, and product suppliers.
- Employment Claims - representing employers in the MCAD, state and federal courts in discrimination, defamation, contractual interference and wrongful termination claims.
- Housing Court Landlord Defense - counterclaims from eviction proceedings and original claims concerning housing conditions, code violations, interference with quiet enjoyment, habitability, intrusion and the like.
- Workers' Compensation - representing self-insured employers and insurers in high stakes claims before the DIA, Reviewing Board and appellate courts.
June 2016I was selected to appear in the 2016 Edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers. Dear John B. Stewart,Congrat... click for more
John B. Stewart
MURPHY & MANITSAS, LLP
20 Maple Street, Suite 301
Springfield, MA 01103
w... click for more